Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Monitor Is On

Joel and I were talking about this the other day, and it stuck with me.

It's happened to both of us. One of us up in Eli's room, trying to get him ready for bed, the other is downstairs in the kitchen. It's easy to hear on the monitor that he's in a two year-old mood.

"I don't want to change my diaper."
"I don't want to take my shoes off."
"No, I can do it."
"I don't want those pajamas."
"I don't want milk, I want apple juice."

On those occasions, the monitor helps. To know the other parent is possibly listening to the dialogue and events occuring upstairs challenges us to be a little more patient, a little more firm, a little more creative, or a little more kind. It's the string tied on my finger to remind me to find every possible way of working with Eli, to not give into my own frustration, or act like a two year old myself. Maybe I shouldn't need that kind of accountability- that tangible reminder of what I should already be doing anyway. It should be enough that God is always present. But the truth it does help me be a little more aware and intentional. I guess God is using baby monitors too.

No comments: