Friday, December 19, 2008

looking ahead...

Thanks for your prayers. Here's the update on Beckett's eye stuff.

Joel and I were praying about getting a 2nd opinion, especially given Beckett's age, and the 30% chance of needing additional surgeries. Within days, a friend recommended a different pediatric opthamologist she works with, and we got an appointment. The 2nd Dr. confirmed that Beckett will eventually need surgery on both eyes, but recommended we wait, since he has excellent control and his eyes are aligned over half the time. This means his vision development isn't affected by the muscle problems yet. The magic words were, "If it were my son, I'd wait."

So he might be 7 years old before he needs surgery, and even waiting a year helps the accuracy. If we notice it getting worse, we are supposed to call, otherwise we go back in 6 months.

We feel good about the decision to wait. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers!!

1 comment:

jenfarra said...

I'm so glad you guys are feeling peaceful about it. Owen kinda had the same situation where it was subtle and manageable for years. In retrospect, the real clue that he was losing control was that he kept squinting or rubbing just one eye. Once he started doing that it was only a few weeks until they went from misaligned 10% to 100% of the time. Can I ask what dr. did you end up going to?