Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Big Finish


I think I've mentioned that Eli is in LOVE with the drums. Some of his other great loves are Bobcats, binkies, and dried mango- but I expect the drums will long outlive his affection for the latter three.

It seems he is always thinking about the drums. We catch him walking around the house or sitting in his car seat absent mindedly patting his chest, stomach, thighs, and head while making drum sound effects.

Here's a recent conversation.

"Ka-ptch! Ka-ptch! Ka-ptch! Daa-Daa Pum, Daa-Daa-Pum...Huh-tah, Hu-tah, Puh-Puh-Puh..."
"What are you singing Eli?"
"I'm playing the drums....Ka-ptch! Ka-pthc! Do you know what that is?"
"Nope. What is it?"
"That's the crash. And this is the tom. Puh-puh-puh."
"Oh, wow!"
"And here's the kick mama. Da-Pum! Da-Pum!"

The other night, I was singing to him before bed. (Someday soon he will be correcting my pitch problems...) He requested Open the Eyes of My Heart. Sometimes he sings along, sometimes he just listens.

This time, he was quietly sucking his binkie as I finished. "I want to see You....I want to see You." There was a brief pause, and the lullaby mood was broken as he spontaneously added his own drum solo. "Bum, Bum, Bum, Ka-ptch-ptch-ptch!"

I guess when you're two, lullabies need a big finish.


No comments: